Bible Lands & Cultures
SUMMER CLASS 2021
Dates: June 28 - August 20 Kevin Smith
Mtg. Days: T, W, Th
Mtg. Time (Pacific Time): 8:00 - 9:00am
This course is designed to complement the student’s study of the Bible. Over eight weeks, the course will investigate the geography of the Ancient Near East and the cultures present there, enriching their reading of the Scriptures. The weekly rhythm includes assigned readings accompanied by Socratic discussion. Students will hone their critical thinking and presentation skills through the various assignments, both written and oral.
The student will...
1. Develop a visual representation of one of the biblical lands discussed (Land Project).
2. Identify and articulate at least two (2) theological concepts in their course readings.
3. Write one persuasive paper based on our readings.
4. Deliver an in-class presentation of their Land Project.
Credits: 1/2 (elective)
- Any modern English translation (not a paraphrase) of the Bible.
- Leston, Stephen. The Bible in World History (2011)
- Rasmussen, Carl. Zondervan Essential Atlas of the Bible (2013)
- PDF documents provided by the instructor.