C.S. Lewis' View of the Universe
SUMMER CLASS 2021
Dates: June 28 - August 20 Kevin Smith
Mtg. Days: T, W, Th
Mtg. Time (Pacific Time): 12:00 - 1:00pm
This course is designed to complement the student’s Integrated Humanities readings of C.S. Lewis’ works. Over eight weeks, the course will investigate the Medieval understanding of the universe that shaped Lewis’ works and will consider how that may impact the Christian’s view of the universe today. The weekly rhythm includes assigned readings accompanied by Socratic discussion. Students will hone their critical thinking and presentation skills through the various assignments, both written and oral. Course Objectives
The student will be able to:
- Develop a visual representation of Lewis’ view of the universe (Universe Project).
- Identify and articulate at least two (2) theological concepts in their course readings.
- Write one persuasive paper based on our readings.
- Deliver an in-class presentation of their Universe Project
Credits: 1/2 (elective)
- Any modern English translation (not a paraphrase) of the Bible.
- Lewis, C.S. The Discarded Image.
- Ward, Michael. The Narnia Code. [Book… the DVD is not required for class]
- PDF documents provided by the instructor.