Tolkien: Making Middle-Earth
- $695 (à la carte tuition per class)
- - $139 (20% tuition deposit required to secure a seat in class)
- = $556 balance of tuition (invoiced as 12 monthly payments, June thru May)
Class Description: This course is designed to provide the student with an understanding of and appreciation for J.R.R. Tolkien’s life and his development of Middle-Earth. It is expected that the student will be familiar with The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. As a literature elective, this course will help students analyze a text and develop lateral thinking between texts through the intricate network of stories Tolkien wove for his world building of Middle-Earth. The weekly rhythm includes assigned readings and Socratic discussion. Students will hone their critical thinking and presentation skills through the various assignments, both written and oral.
Mtg. Days: Mondays & Wednesdays (only)
Credits: 1 (elective)
- Any modern English translation (not a paraphrase) of the Bible.
- Fonstad, Karen Wynn. Atlas of Middle-Earth. Houghton Mifflin Company, 1991.
- Horne, Mark. J. R. R. Tolkien: The Mind Behind the Rings. Thomas Nelson, 2022.
- Loconte, Joseph. A Hobbit, a Wardrobe, and a Great War: How J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis Rediscovered Faith, Friendship, and Heroism in the Cataclysm of 1914-1918. Thomas Nelson, 2017
- Tolkien, J.R.R. Beren and Luthien. Mariner Books, 2018.
- ---. The Children of Hurin. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2008.
- ---. Fall of Gondolin. William Morrow, 2018.
- ---. The Silmarillion. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2004.
- ---. Tales from the Perilous Realm. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2008.
*Registration & Payment Plans: Upon registration, Logos Online will create a monthly payment plan for the balance of tuition, paid in monthly installments with the first payment due June 1 and the final payment in May. Families who register after June 1 will be invoiced immediately for the months that have transpired at the time of registration. For example, if a student registers on August 25, the family will pay the 20% deposit as well as the monthly payments for June, July, and August. They will then continue forward with the monthly payment plan for the balance of tuition.